Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Week 9, Thing 22

Downloadables


Okay, I know Overdrive. I have trained others on using Overdrive. I like Overdrive well enough. Some may know how I love picture books on Overdrive. So I thought I should take a look at TumbleBooks.

They are easy to use. I like the ease of use. I don't really like the part where it reads to you, but I can see how some might. And I am not sure about animating static things, as if books in print form are somehow lacking. But I can see how teachers could use Tumble Books easily.

The games are fun. And they provide different ways to interact with words and the books.

But I prefer Overdrive overall. Overdrive ebooks and audiobooks are part of our collection. They are just stored differently, in an electronic form. The Tumble Books are a separate site you visit and have less control over what is in it or how it is presented.

However, I think most patrons won't really care about those difference. They both offer different ways to interact with books -- through computers and sound and are great to explore. They are likely both examples of how things are going to be in the future too.

I look forward to the day when we no longer have physical discs for audiobooks, music CDs and DVDs and it is all donwloadable. They will be much easier to process and circulate. We wouldn't have to worry about theft and labels.

We'd just have to deal with download problems -- but that is the concern of public service staff not us support staff. :)

No comments: