Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Week 9, Thing 21

Podcasts



I am not a big one for podcasts. They seem like a neat idea -- listen to things on your own time but it is another thing to have to keep up with. I did explore the directories and found some library related stuff -- it is interesting that the Open Stacks blog is also available as a podcast.


I tried to add NPR to my Bloglines account but it didn't work. Okay they show up but there is nothing in them. And I did this back in October. Oh boy, just crashed Bloglines because I hadn't looked at things for a while. Oops.


I did also go ahead and setup an iTunes account and even subscribed to some free shows (Splendid Table as 1 pm on Saturday is not a good time for me) but I have yet to download or listen to an episode. It just is another thing to listen on the MP3 player. Generally, I would rather listen to either the current radio or a book. I am hoping with my new player I can do the latter a lot more easily.


I am pretty lazy when it comes to what I listen to. I like listening to radio well enough and NPR generally fits my mood. I can't listen when I am working.

But this is a tool that others find appealing and seems to be something libraries should explore ways to use. And go beyond the radio broadcast or lecture replay into something different. Not sure what but there have to be other things we could do. Oral history projects. Get people talking about why the love OPL. That might be fun. Record what you like about the library. Hmm. Might have to suggest that one.

1 comment:

Greg Schwartz said...

Hi there, just wanted to clarify a bit about the Open Stacks blog/podcast. It's not so much that the blog is/was available as a podcast, but that my first experiments with library-flavored podcasting were called Open Stacks and the blog was used as the platform for publishing it. The content of that podcast was similar to the blog, but was not an audio version of the blog per se.

I've since moved on to another project called Uncontrolled Vocabulary, which I encourage you to check out at http://uncontrolledvocabulary.com

Good luck in your learning!