Thursday, September 25, 2008

Week 5, thing 11

LibraryThing


I've known about LibraryThing for a few years -- checked it out sporadically for various things. I have even recommended it for a small library for someone to use. And I have heard presentations on LibraryThing for Libraries. We have even discussed whether we should use it at OPL.


But, I have never had a LibraryThing account until this exercise. It was easy to set-up. I am not sure if I'll continue to add to it or not. It could be interesting but there are other ways I'd rather spend my time. And given I spend a certain amount at work cataloging and thinking about cataloging, not sure how much of that I want to do in my spare time.

I did a display for LibraryThing at the bottom of my blog. Interesting to find the widget in LibraryThing and then work out how to display it in Blogger. Definitely doing a lot of lifelong learning here!

I did, however, find the groups in LibraryThing pretty interesting. There are some interesting discussions there and I'd be interested to follow some of those. Not sure how much I'll participate. At ALA Annual (held in June ) Tim Spaulding, the creator of LibraryThing announced Open Shelves Classification – to build a system to replace the Dewey Decimal System – so far there are some interesting discussions going on.


The main things I have thought about contributing, in terms of books, are what I am reading currently (although that won't stay up-to-date), creating a list of desired reads, keep track of what my book club reads. And someone suggested this for my kids and their cousins (as they are all spread across the world) -- let them create libraries of what they like to read -- an interesting way for the cousins to connect. Not quite sure how I might orchestrate that one.

No comments: