Friday, September 30, 2011

CPD23 Thing 19

Catching my breath


Whew! What a blessing to have time to catch my breath and reflect, even though this is still late. Work has been so busy that I have not felt that I have had time to work on CPD23.

Which is a pity. I have found that I have greatly enjoyed learning about things, reflecting on them, perhaps trying something out and then writing about it. Some of the things have been ones I have used before, such as Google Calendar, but I learned new ways to use it. Some I have never heard of, such as Zotero or Zing (hmm, why is the Z so appealing in a name?) which offer some interesting possibilities.

What has probably been the biggest influence, so far, though was Thing 3. I had not really considered how I was presenting myself in my blog or through Twitter which are the accounts I use to professionally rather than personally/professionally (as with Facebook). In fact I came into this being rather resistant to the idea of a personal brand. And I still consider that a rather silly or overly corporate idea. However, I have come to realize the importance of considering your online presence. This goes beyond concerns of privacy or being careful what you do in your personal life that gets online to concerns of consistency and professionalism. So I spent some time tweaking and integrating my Twitter and Blog accounts. They do not look exactly the same but I have used similar red backgrounds and have a link to my Twitter feed on my blog. I know that this concept is one I'll keep in mind for the future.

Looking ahead Prezi might be something I'll look into and use for my presentation in October. And I have just realized that we'll be wrapping up soon. But maybe there will also be something to continue. I certainly hope so.

No comments: