Friday, September 30, 2011

CPD23 Thing 17

Prezentations

This was an interesting and timely thing for me. I have a presentation to present next week at NLA (on RDA) so I decided I would actually try to use Prezi to construct my presentation. I believe that this was used by a keynote speaker at a conference last year, and although I found it a little hard to follow at times it was also pretty engaging.

It was a very interesting exercise. I came to this with a pretty open mind about what I was going to do and now reflecting on what I created it, it is pretty much still a Power Point presentation but the way it was constructed was much less linear. And I was working in a more confined space, as I used a template -- which really made me narrow my focus and words (I also was trying to take to heart we learned earlier about presenting).

I started with a template, as I am not very good at layout with a blank canvas (I need structure -- I can play with the structure but I prefer to have a framework first). The template provided boxes to fill in. The hardest part was working out how to clear some of the existing text. The tutorials provided were very useful and once I started working with it, it worked pretty well.

My presentation (on RDA) can be found here: http://prezi.com/cf1h0ckmpcni/lets-talk-about-rda/

It is all text. No images (I couldn't think of any good ones) and no video (uh, really doesn't apply unless there were some RDA presentation but then we'd all be asleep). I did experiment with putting in a web link but couldn't easily find a way to make it active so I took that out.

There are some interesting tools that I found later that I would consider using at another time, such as the timeline. I also appreciated being able to change the color on the template easily, which I did. I will be interested to see how well this works for my presentation next week.

This is a tool that I will use again. I am not overly fond of Power Point and although Prezi forces me to think in ways I don't normally I found it an useful way to think about presenting.


No comments: