Wednesday, September 21, 2011

CPD23 Thing 18

Beyond Print Screen

The past few weeks I have been immersed with our new ILS but I wish I had known about things such as Zing and Screen-cast-omatic. I have had to do a few documents to let staff know how to do things in the new system and I can see how Zing or Screen-cast-omatic would have helped immensely in order to show how to use things.

I have looked at the demos for both products and prefer Screen-cast-omatic -- it is simpler and more straightforward. Zing seems to be trying a bit too hard. But I would have to actually use both tools and see which I preferred.

A few thoughts about using such products. First, is the need to work out carefully what you are going to be presenting. I am used to communicating by writing but not so used to communicating by video. It requires some differences in thinking, in planning and presentation. Second, I wonder what is required by others to view these screen casts. It is implied, but not directly stated, that they do not need to download the products. I hope not. Third, is there a time limit on how long your screen cast can be?

Screen casting is a great development for online teaching. We have used it in the past to help our patrons learn how to search, place holds and such. I hope we will continue to do so in the future. We have not made such use of podcasting but I know that some libraries do so. Or they use podcasts like a little radio show or blog post.

We still tend to operate very much in the written word I wonder how long it will take us to begin to operate more in the spoken words and dynamic visuals?





No comments: