Thursday, October 27, 2011

CPD23 Thing 23

So long, goodbye...

This has been an enjoyable exercise. I took it on at not a great time for me -- during the midst of an ILS change. And I'll get it finished, before the NLC deadline at least! I have learned a lot, which was my main goal. I have found out new things which I may use again. Just today a discussion on using podcasting or videocasting as a training tool came up and I was able to point to Screen-o-matic and Zing. So I am very glad I have taken the time to work through this. Glad that I could sometimes ignore it for a while and take time to catch up and especially glad it is not something I am running.

This particular continuing education program has focus on developing things for you professionally. The aspect of library work that I see myself still needing to work on is management. I have attended various workshops through OPL and they have been useful. And I have read library management books, even tried to work through some. Although finding the time for that reading is difficult (especially when I have the latest Ruth Rendell to read).

But having something designed for library managers in particular would be great. Often in libraries staff are promoted or hired with little or no management training. It is not something most of us like to deal with but if we take the time to work on it, it will be pay off in the long run. And it is something I will continue working on as I know I need to improve in this area.

I will continue to look for learning opportunities, whether they are online learning ones like this, webinars, books or workshops. What would be a good goal is to take some time and blog about the webinars, books and workshops so I can really reflect on what I am learning. So perhaps that is what I can do to keep this blog going, even without a "23 things" program to follow.

Thanks to the organizers of the CPD23 program and to the Nebraska Library Commission for their Learning 2.0 programs. They have been great, and I'll continue to try and participate.




No comments: