Tuesday, August 2, 2011

CPD23 Thing 9

Evernote

I had never heard of this program before CPD23 but it looks very promising. I had fun playing around with it and can see how I can use it to feed my recipe addiction.

One aspect I like is how easy it is to copy from a webpage -- something that I do (especially with recipes; why is it so hard to print from a blog -- love the recipe blogs which allow you to print just the recipe) -- and to then have a nicely formatted and printable page (and findable too).

I can also see how I can use it for cataloging. Just yesterday I had to find a PDF online to catalog. I was able to find it, use Evernote to copy the first page and then have the link saved and know what it was about so if I wasn't able to finish my catalog record I could go back and find it later. This is better than bookmarking, in my opinion.

I can also see how it could be fabulous to use with a tablet device. One of the criticisms I have heard about such devices is that it is hard to take notes and sometimes if you lose rights to a digital book then you loose your notes. I presume that you could use Evernote to store your notes instead. It might be a bit of a pain to have to use a secondary system but it is better than losing your notes!

This will be a program that I'll continue to make use of and probably find new and different ways to use. I know I'll use to when updating and working on LibGuides too.

No comments: