Wednesday, August 17, 2011

CPD23 Thing 13

Cloud Collaboration

This week's things are all ones I am at least somewhat familiar with and two of them I have used extensively and mainly professionally.

Google Docs: I use this all the time. I use it it take notes during meetings or at conferences. I have a netbook computer that I take to such events and have found that it is wonderful to be able to type my notes as they happen rather than to try and decipher them later. And it makes it easy to share them after doing a quick clean-up. I love using Google Docs this way. I appreciate that I can make the notes on my netbook but still access them on my work or how computer. One difficulty is if there is no wireless access at the event. This is not usually a problem if at a national or state-wide conference or at a public library in the US, but at an academic library or elsewhere you are not guaranteed access.

Another difficulty comes when you try and share with people. If you aren't trying to make it secure and willing to just share the link it works just fine. However, if you want to keep it secure those who do not have a Google account can have difficulties logging in and accessing the documents. When I was on the NLA board we were able to set up and use Google Docs to share the written reports. This was much easier than sending email attachments or bringing printed copies to meeting. It took a bit for everyone to learn how to upload their documents and access them but we eventually got it up and running. I have been trying to get this set up with another board I am on but they do not seem to be as technological adept as librarians.

I have used Google Docs to collaborate on a project only occasionally. Usually it has been to share things I have completed. An exception was for a PLA presentation -- we did work together on the document, sometimes during a conference call. And when it came time for the presentation I had my material in Google Docs and on a jump drive, just to be sure I had it!

Wikis: I have been using wikis for a few years now. I remember when I first learned about them and how to use the collaboratively. They seem to have become just a part of working life -- although I tend to use them to look up what others have done and do not post to them. I have thought about setting up a wiki for a departmental manual but have not gotten past the thought. Currently I am leaning toward setting up a LibGuide instead.

Dropbox: This is one I have not really used, although I do have an account. My brother invited me to use it and I set up an account but I have not put in anything. I am thinking that I'll mainly use it for photograph sharing. It seems like it would be similar to use as Google Docs.

I appreciate the programs that allow sharing of materials, working collaboratively and not being tied to a particular computer or a jump drive or needing to download software.

No comments: